Symbiosis School of Biological Sciences (SSBS) (formerly School of Biomedical sciences) was established as a new initiative of Symbiosis International University (SIU) in 2011 under the Faculty of Health and Biological Sciences (FOHBS) to address the need for a school devoted to training, research and development in the field of Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Healthcare.
In the past, scientific research has given highly effective technologies for the prevention and control of human diseases. However, with upsurge of chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases; re-emerging diseases like malaria, dengue; and with the advent of newly emerging diseases like HIV, influenza there is an imminent need to invest and add value to application based research in the field of biomedical sciences.
Programme Outcomes: M.Sc. Biotechnology
- PO1: Knowledge: To gain knowledge in the fields of biotechnology
- PO2: Communication skills: To communicate effectively with experts and society at large. Should be able to present or document research outcomes.
- PO3: Team work: To function effectively as an individual or a member of a team or leader in diverse teams in multidisciplinary settings
- PO4: Creative and critical thinking: To identify, formulate, review research literature and analyze complex health care and biotechnology related problems reaching substantiated conclusions
- PO5: Local challenges: To inculcate innovation, entrepreneurship and skill for data analysis, literature review, perform routine biotechnology protocols and handle instruments.
- PO6: Regional challenges: To create employable manpower in biotechnology industry.
- PO7: Global challenges: To create awareness about issues related to environment and sustainability, and human health.